Dear Family,
February was a good month. Joshua and Zachari attended every day of seminary and school, whenever they were held, which weren’t often. And they are now resting up for Easter vacation which is only a few weeks away. They continue to have a perfect attendance record for the entire school year.
Zack visited the barber recently just to even up his sideburns and came out looking like a billiard ball. Our old barber, Frank, took an unplanned vacation to Indonesia just ahead of the FBI, and the new barber is an undocumented Latino who has a little trouble with English. Rumors on the street are Frank will not be returning. Joshua hasn’t seen a barber since early last June. It’s amazing how much these boys now resemble Moe and Curly.
I plowed my garden a few days ago. The current weather in Superior California east of I-5 suggests a favorable early planting season, but the calendar doesn’t support that conclusion. Of course, if I had been wise like a certain member of my extended family and located west of I-5 I wouldn’t have to worry about the possibility of a killing frost or a summer drought. And concerning a possible drought, a news item on the front page of “The Wall Street Journal” under a heading “The Western Drought Worsens…” contains the following quotation: “The snow and bad weather hit the east so fast that their problems were immediate apparent. A drought is so much more subtle,” said Kenneth Woodward, “It creeps up on you, and you may find out you’re in trouble far later than you should have.” Mr. Woodward is an official of the California Department of Water Resources. ( WSJ February 10, 1977). As condition now look in Northern California, the WSJ may have an opportunity to use that quote in some near-future article.
Love, Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment