Dear Family,
What an exciting month ahead. As this is leap year and February has one day more than otherwise, I can hardly contain myself. It will give each of you one more day not to write about in our next month Newswire, and one more day for me to be insulted by some of you on Facebook.
The most noteworthy event during January in Sacramento was an announcement that the church’s Sacramento regional welfare cannery will be closed permanently in June in favor of a more efficient facility elsewhere. The new location has not been made known to this emeritus leader, but my fervent prayers are that it will be in Colorado Springs.
Shortly after that facility was completed, then California Governor Ronald Reagan accepted an invitation to tour the plant. Here is a copy of a picture printed on the front page of the November 10, 1973 issue of the Church News. I’m the one with the dark rimmed glasses giving them the 12 tribes, the governor is to my right and Lt. Governor John Harmer’s back is toward the camera.
As John Harmer was a personal friend of mine, he introduced the governor to me, saying, “Governor, this is Ken Woodward, Ken is one of your boys.” As Reagan shook my hand he said, “Ken, it’s sure good to see you AGAIN.” I still trying to remember when he ever met me before. Maybe I’ll remember the same time Carol remembers where she put my key to the house.
We’ve had a little rain so far this winter, and I mean “little,” and if conditions don’t soon improve we will be known as the Sacramento dust bowl. And talking about bowls, how about Tom Brady and his Patriots in the Super Bowl. I suppose that was Aaron’s team. The only bad thing that didn’t happen to the Patriots was Brady didn’t get thrown for a 15-yard loss as he came out of the tunnel.
Love, Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment